Highlights of Greece with 3-Day Aegean Cruise Moderate A
Brochure Type: Europe & Britain Costsaver 2021
This is where it all began - the literature, art and laws that have shaped western civilisation as we know it today. You won't need to imagine great philosophers debating their truths in the corridors of the Agora, between the columns of the Parthenon or with the Oracle of Delphi. You'll get to see where this happened first-hand on this 8-day adventure to the heart of ancient empires and the sun-kissed shores of the Greek Isles.
- Athens Sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist includes a visit to the magnificent Acropolis and views of the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch
- Crete Spend time in the port town of Heraklion and visit the Palace of Knossos
- Delphi Visit the home of the Oracle and the Temple of Apollo with a Local Specialist
- Kusadasi Visit the thriving Turkish port town and ancient Ephesus
- Meteora Visit one of the iconic rock monasteries with a Local Specialist
- Mykonos Spend the evening exploring this lively island
- Patmos Explore this idyllic island
- Santorini Enjoy a relaxing evening in the cliff top town of Fira
- 7 Breakfasts
- 3 Cruise lunches
- 4 Three-course dinners
- Audio Headsets provided throughout your holiday to enhance your included sightseeing experiences
- Luxury air-conditioned coach
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Variety of Optional Experiences
- City orientation tours
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- All hotel service charges and tips, baggage handling fees and local taxes
Call (614) 272-5229 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15149717
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 12/31/2020
- 8 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Athens||Arrive Athens (1 Night): Athens was once the centre of the world and for a short spell it will be the centre of yours. On arrival, transfer to your hotel and spend the rest of the day exploring the Greek capital your way. Evidence of the city's former status as the 'Cradle of Western Civilisation' can be seen around every turn, so lace up your walking shoes and pound the pavements in search of the artistry, architecture and archaeological treasures that have made Athens a popular stop for history lovers. Later, meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers.|
|Day 2||Delphi||Athens sightseeing - Delphi (1 Night): Today you'll come face-to-face with the impressive ancient backdrop that followed you throughout yesterday's solo sightseeing - the Acropolis. A Local Specialist joins you for a sightseeing tour through what remains of the ancient citadel, including the Parthenon, dedicated to the goddess Athena. View the Panathinaiko Olympic Stadium, the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch, stopping at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to admire the curiously clad Evzone guards. Later, follow the road taken by the ancient Greeks who once sought the wisdom of the Oracle, arriving in Delphi for your overnight stay.|
|Day 3||Kalambaka||Delphi sightseeing - Kalambaka (1 Night): Walk the Sacred Way to the Temple of Apollo - the same path that Alexander the Great once trod, demanding to hear that he would conquer the entire ancient world. Your Local Specialist will reveal the ancient site's captivating history and some of the Oracle's prophecies, many of which would eventually come true. You'll also discover Delphi's fame as the host of the Pythian Games, dedicated to Apollo and the arts. A scenic drive takes you to Thermopylae, most notably the site of the heroic defence by King Leonidas and his brave Spartans against the invading Persians. Later arrive in Kalambaka, where you dine tonight at your hotel.|
|Day 4||Athens||Kalambaka - Meteora - Athens (1 Night): The mystical monasteries of Meteora cling almost implausibly to the rounded rock towers that overlook Kalambaka. Joining a Local Specialist this morning, you'll visit this heavenly Eastern Orthodox complex, built by monks in the 14th century to stave off attacks from the invading Turks. Return to Athens later this afternoon where the rest of the day is free to do as you wish. An Optional Experience this evening could see you indulge in tasty traditional cuisine. Join your new friends for a taverna evening including dancing and drinks.|
|Day 5||Mykonos||Embark 3-night cruise - Mykonos (3 Nights): Set your watch to the laid-back pace of the Greek Islands, boarding your three-night cruise through the Aegean where your only priorities will be good food, good friends and good times. With that in mind, your first stop ticks all the boxes as you enjoy your time on Mykonos rambling through the narrow streets of Chora, sharing the sun-dappled courtyard with lazy cats and welcoming locals. You could choose to join an optional countryside tour with a Local Specialist, visiting several of the island's beaches, the 16th-century monastery at Ano Mera and Little Venice with its brightly painted wooden balconies overlooking the old harbour. Your cruise sails east to Turkey through the night.|
|Day 6||Patmos||Kusadasi - Patmos: A brief brush with the Turkish coast transports you back in time to what remains of the incredible ruins of Ephesus. Walk down the pillar-lined Curetes Street towards the ornate facade of the Library of Celsus and view what remains of the Temple of Artemis, one of the World's Seven Ancient Wonders. Your next stop is Patmos, most famously the location where the disciple John wrote the Book of Revelation in the New Testament. See the Grotto of the Apocalypse first-hand when you join an Optional Experience with a Local Specialist, with time in medieval Hora to stretch your sea legs.|
|Day 7||Santorini||Heraklion - Santorini: Europe's oldest city comes to life on your visit to the Palace of Knossos in Heraklion on the island of Crete. Walk through its imposing northern entrance and admire the bright wall paintings that were restored at the turn of the 20th century, revealing insights into Minoan civilisation several thousand years before Christ. The dramatic volcanic landscape of Santorini rising out of the deep blue Aegean is our final destination today. You'll have time to join an Optional Experience to some of the island's villages which cling to the volcanic cliffs, including Oia with its distinctive white buildings and blue-domed churches which vie for the best views over the caldera.|
|Day 8||Depart Athens||Disembark - depart Athens: And just like that we're back in Athens after an exhilarating encounter with ancient Greek history and laid-back island life in the Aegean. You've seen the haunts of Socrates, Aristotle and Plato and admired many of the world's greatest ancient treasures. Close the curtain on stories that span several millennia as you disembark your cruise ship and transfer to the airport.|
- Itinerary: Occasionally the itinerary may be altered due to sailing conditions on the Aegean Sea, religious holidays or any other unforeseen circumstances.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class